Sunday, June 16, 2013

30 Day Photo Challenge: Day 10

"Childhood memory"

Funny story. I went to America's Thrift the other day to look for a skirt, and left with a skirt, eight Barbies, and a Barbie car, for a grand total of $13. (I can't tell you how excited I got when I realized I could buy really nice Barbies dirt cheap there - have you seen how much they want for them these days?) I'm not exactly sure what came over me, but I'm building a small collection of toys for all my friends' kids to play with when they come over, and let's be honest - Barbies have always been my favorite toys. 

Since the dolls came in their birthday suits, I pulled out my box of childhood Barbie supplies so they could go shopping to scrounge up some clothing. 

It's amazing how it's been 20 years but I can still look at each doll even now and remember their name, who gave them to me, and the lives I had made up for them. I got rid of a bunch of Barbies when I decided I was old enough to pack them all away, but I kept several of my favorites. 


This was "Polly Darton" (yep). She has a button in her stomach and if you push it she says "nice outfit" "you look great" and "see you later" (these phrases are now deeply entrenched in my family's lexicon). You can still hear it faintly - impressive batteries! Polly owned a boutique in my Barbie neighborhood filled with tiny plastic shoes and purses. The outfit she's wearing was given to me by my cousin Jennie. She gave me my first Barbie house and accessories; I still remember playing Barbies with Jennie on a blanket under the tree in front of my grandmothers' apartment building. Her hand-me-down Barbie house was an amazingly large 70s model with orange and yellow molded plastic rooms, and I thought it was the Taj Mahal. 

What were your favorite childhood toys? Did you save any of them? 

No comments:

Watermelon, feta, and butter lettuce salad with walnuts and white balsamic.  I love my CSA box.  And not the flippant, I-love-th...