Sunday, September 16, 2012

Make it so: Kate Spade-inspired jewelry box

Kate Spade is always cheerful. Whether it's a handbag, skirt, or dishware, the colorful, slightly irreverent designs never fail to make me smile.


(The Kate Spade iphone case that's so popular right now.) 

Since Kate Spade is ever-so-slightly out of my budget, however, (ok, way out of it) I have to settle for finding and crafting cute things with that Kate Spade feel. 

Enter spray paint. My love of spray paint exceeds that of a juvenile delinquents'. Spray paint has the ability to take an old, tired household object and transform it into something new and shiny. Prepare yourself, you're about to see a lot of spray paint posts. 

I bought this old jewelry box from the thrift store a few weeks ago intending to give it a good makeover. When I plopped it into the cart at America's Thrift, Lexi raised an eyebrow, and mumbled something polite about not having the vision that I have for junk, errm, stuff. 



The little heart-shaped pulls really caught my eye, but i'm a bit too old for a ballet-dancer jewelry box, and the white paint finish had certainly seen better days. So I took it home, scrubbed it down with a soapy rag, and let it sit for a few days while I decided on what colors to paint it. 

As soon as I saw the metallic gold Krylon, I knew what had to be done! 



I covered the whole thing in a few coats of Brilliant Gold. I should have put it on in super thin layers, because it still ran a bit. Definitely go with multiple thin coats if you're using a metallic. 



You can see the imperfections. I'm ok with that. 


After the paint was dry, I took it inside and stuck removable round office labels all over it. Mine were about an inch in diameter, but you could probably use slightly larger or smaller ones too. I started out in a precise grid, but that didn't look quite right so I took 'em all off and stuck them back on randomly. 



Random was much better. I thoroughly dotted the whole thing, taking care to wrap some dots around the edges. 


Then, it was back outside for another round of spray paint. This was was Krylon glossy almond. When picking out your spray paint, just pay the extra $2 for the good stuff. That extra 2 bucks makes a huge difference in the quality and quantity of the stuff inside. 




After a few more layers of paint, more drying time, and a careful peeling off of stickers, it was time for the big reveal! 






I just love how it turned out! Some paint seeped in under the circles, and there's still a few subtle drip marks visible from the gold paint, but it think it just adds to the charm! 

What do you think? What's your favorite spray paint project? 




No comments:

Watermelon, feta, and butter lettuce salad with walnuts and white balsamic.  I love my CSA box.  And not the flippant, I-love-th...