Friday, January 9, 2009

Now Launching: Project Rewear

I only made one real resolution this new year's. Actually it's not really a resolution as much as it's a challenge. For the whole of 2009, I will be attempting to avoid buying any clothes at a retail store. Before you gasp and say, "What?! That's impossible!" - let me explain further.

I love clothes. Oh, how I love them. Particularly anything to do with J.Crew, the Gap, and cute vintage finds. I am also extremely budget conscious, which means I shop for bargains like it's an Olympic sport. Most of the time, finding deals is a very good thing, but that also means if I find something I like that's on sale, whether I need it or not, I'll buy it, because it was "such a good deal." And as my closet gets fuller and fuller, I keep on shopping, and keep on packing it in, because I enjoy it so.

But all those little "finds" add up, not exorbitantly or anything, but to more than I need to be spending on clothes I don't need. Plus, new clothes come with an environmental price tag as well - it takes a lot of energy and resources to make those jeans, and the list of clothing companies that could be qualified as environmentally conscious is still pretty small.

So, this year, I will not buy a single piece of clothing at a retail store. I will, however, continue going to thrift shops and consignment stores occasionally, because I don't really want to give up shopping cold turkey. I've also been attempting to further my sewing skills, so any clothing I can sew is fine, and will be a fun challenge (and you can't really impulse-buy patterns and fabric). Underwear, socks and PJs are exempt from the no-retail rule, for obvious reasons (thrift shop undies? I don't think so).

I hope to keep my thoughts and progress logged here, at least every couple of weeks, throughout the year. I'll also keep you supplied with pictures of anything I attempt to sew, or especially cute items I pick up thrifting. Feel free to comment and share your own thrifting or sewing tips!

I can feel the creative juices flowing already.

2 comments:

jenny said...

1. this is inspiring.
2. do you have a sewing machine? i want to get one, because i got a book on simple sewing, but i don't have a machine. also, i don't know how to use a machine.
3. i want to watch the office & 30 rock with you on thursday, but i'm going to cleveland.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making it official! It's been two months since I've bought ANY clothing and it is liberating! Once I'm done with the no-clothes-buying deal, I'm going to only buy clothes from thrift/consignment stores. That is a great way to ensure that eco/morally-friendly companies see less of your dollar.

So, good for you. I can't wait to hear about your adventures in shopping.... or... not shopping! :)

Watermelon, feta, and butter lettuce salad with walnuts and white balsamic.  I love my CSA box.  And not the flippant, I-love-th...