Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Make it so: DIY Dry Erase Board

A few weeks ago, I made my mom a DIY dry erase board for her birthday. It turned out so cute I thought I would share! It would be a great way to add your style or personality to your office or desk at work. I use dry erase boards a lot for Arbonne meetings, so I might be making one for myself soon, too!

I started with a nice picture frame from the clearance isle at TJ Maxx. My mom has a lot of Americana-themed decor in her house so I thought the weathered blue wood would be just right. 


I bought a piece of 12x12 scrapbook paper at Hobby Lobby and cut it down to match the frame. The off-white "lined paper" print was perfect. 


Also bought some unpainted wooden stars at Walmart for less than $2, I think. 


Pulled out the trusty acrylic paints. 


And painted those suckers. 


They looked too new and not americana enough, though. What to do? I sanded them down with a fine grade sandpaper, then covered them with that morning's coffee grounds and let them sit for a few hours. 



When the grounds were completely dry, I brushed them off with a paintbrush. 


Then, hot-glued them to the frame!


And the finished product...


So cute! I really like how it turned out. 



Now I just have to decide what I want mine to look like! I'm thinking of doing it in a larger, poster sized frame for lots of writing space!

What colors/themes would you want your personalized dry erase board to be?

No comments:

Watermelon, feta, and butter lettuce salad with walnuts and white balsamic.  I love my CSA box.  And not the flippant, I-love-th...